from Civil to Inventor

The Autodesk enthusiast exile

Inventor – iFeatures provide a quick fix

This weekend I was up to my neck in a problem with having to rebuild a fast and dirty project.  It was built for pretty only.  The problem was that a weekend build did not cover enough time to do the job right. Shortcuts lead to failures in Inventor.

I had constrained latches of a door in the door assembly, and then reversed my build and snapped the cut edges off the latch in the door part, and cut out the hole.  It was fast and I didn’t need solid build, just fast.  Hmmm, sounds familiar.  Don’t have time to do it right, but always have time to do it over….  And do it over you will.

I started the job with a skeleton containing the global resources, and the overall shell.  This worked like  champ.  Eventually as I began to run out of time, I started to cut corners.  Portions of the projected geometry began to fail for one reason or another (because of the shortcuts).  Everything was fine until I had to make a change.

So was tired of recreating my ‘shortcut’ doors, and decided to get a better shortcut.  The latch plate had to recut for each change. 

image

Use the iFeature to reduce repetitive steps

Rather than create it for the third time (eventually even I learn from my mistakes), I created an iFeature.  This part however had no geometry and was just the solid model.  Fine.  I created a cut extrusion from sketched cut edges, an sent it out in all directions.

Continue reading

Advertisements

October 7, 2009 Posted by | 2010, iFeatures, Inventor | , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Civil 3D – Parcel label and ‘Pretty’ exhibit tip

Parcel labels are a real blessing when it comes to site plans.  Everyone is figuring out that I will use a description field for ANYTHING I can.  If I can transfer it to a style display, I’m all over it.

I’m working this project (the one that is delaying the current series I’d publishing for you all), and I had to prepare some exhibits for the lease. I was worried because I have a deadline in 2 days, and I still have other plans to complete.  It actually took little time to prepare. This is what I did:

Re-XML out all my sites. (Just to make sure the collection was accurate)

Formatted a letter sized border that would be attractive on a lease document.

Took the team’s overall master (the one with all the basic background and the improvement XREFs ), and saved-as to a new location. 

Opened new master drawing, imported sheet border, and set the views

Imported only the XML’s that I needed.  In the Prospector, I picked the Parcels Collection, selected ALL the parcels, and changed the Parcels Style, and Area Label Styles globally. 

The trick is that I always shave secondary labels in the description field, for occasions like this.  I either duplicate the name, or it might be something more generalized.  Once in a while I notice that things are getting cramped, and I can enter the Parcel name in the Description field, but stack it a bit narrower. There are ton’s of uses, and I kind of wish that there was maybe 1 other field, giving even more flexibility.  I have styles, that appear and organize the same, but one reads the Name field, and the other reads the Description field.

image

I don’t have time to re-label everything in a pinch.  When I bring in the XML parcels, they flop down, and I globally change the Parcels Style to something bold, and the area label styles to the Description display style. 

Often there is a desired subject parcel in the exhibit, so I throw the Parcel Style with a shade at that one, and regen.

Instant lease exhibits! It took me longer to type this, than it did to prepare the exhibit.

I love Civil 3D!

Civil 3D 2009 Menu

November 24, 2008 Posted by | Parcels | , , , , , , , | Leave a comment